Thursday, May 23, 2013

#SheReadsTruth

Source: Google
 

I have been reading the "She Reads Truth: Prayer in the Bible" devotion on the
Bible app on my phone. I love it because its so easily accessible. You know us 
"Y Generationers" (I know, not a word) are all about the technology & immediate 
access. I found about the She Reads Truth series through this blog. 
She brought up in one her post how most women's devotionals are usually cheesy. 
Her words exactly "Great another cheesy, feel-good study for women that compares 
God’s loves to household chores." But then she decided to give She Reads Truth a 
chance & loved it! 
I felt the same way with all the dating devotionals, classes etc they 
did when I was in my late teens, early 20s (still early 20s!), before I met my 
husband. They were so over done! I mean I get what they were trying to do. But 
SERIOUSLY!  
I don't know if you have the same problem I do but I struggle with finding the 
time to do a devotion. Or should I say making the time to do it. Most of the 
time I am reading it on my phone in the car in the parking lot before work or on 
my Kindle/phone at lunch time. I have never been one of those people to get up 
at 5am to do a devotion & drink coffee. That's just not me. I despise the 
morning time. Just ask my husband. Or pretty much anyone who knows me. 
Now some people may disagree with me. That you HAVE to have a set time for your 
devotion or it has to be first thing when you wake up in the morning before you do 
anything else. If that's your forte then by all means do it! But like I said, me & 
morning ain't friends. Lyndsey also mentions this on her blog, there isn't an exact 
formula on how you get your quiet time in, just that you get it in. 
 
For example, my Dad. He told me once, he turns off the radio & talks to God on the 
way to work in the morning. That is what works for him. Now if my Dad does that then 
its gold in my opinion. Because my Dad is like Jesus's brother or something. Seriously. 
He's the best man I know.
 
When I get up in the morning I'm usually praying in my head the minute I wake up. 
First usually saying I hate morning!... Then I proceed to try to turn my 
attitude around an thank God for a new day & all the other amazing things he has 
blessed me with. This is what works for me.
 
Back to my main point, #SheReadsTruth. Not that I'm some super spiritual wise person but 
I thought I'd share a piece of the devotion & my take on it.   

Today's was titled "Practicing Petition" 

The definition of petition is "a request made for something desired, especially a  
respectful or humble request, as to a superior or to one of those in authority; a  
supplication or prayer."
 
Here is some of the devotion: 
 
"No matter how great or small your desires may seem, they are important to you, 
and therefore, important to Him.

We can come to Him for safety, for wisdom, with our desires, and more. Scripture 
tells us to be persistent, to approach God boldly, and to rest in knowing that 
He loves us like children and wants to give us good gifts. And in the gospel, 
Christ demonstrates the importance of praying that God’s will be done above all.

Thank God for being your Father who you can trust to provide and care for you. 
Repent if you find that you’ve kept your petitions, needs, desires from Him.

Call to mind some things you can ask your Father for.

Be specific when you pray. Don’t be afraid that He can’t handle your needs and 
desires.

Be bold in what you ask. We might forget that simply because something seems 
impossible to us, nothing is impossible for our Lord.

End with the simple words, “Not my will, but yours be done.” As hard as this may 
be to say, begin to trust that God has “plans to prosper you and not to harm 
you, plans to give you hope and a future.” (Jeremiah 29:11 NIV)" 



I love when it says be bold in what you ask & don't think he can't handle your 
needs & desires. 

God wants to hear your deepest thoughts. Your fears. Your dreams. Your wants. 
Everything. You should be able to talk to God just like you talk to your best 
friend. He is your best friend. If you let Him be. 
 
I love #SheReadsTruth. Its been very refreshing. & something new for me. 
If you are interested in reading it you can get it on the You Version Bible app or 
visit their website #SheReadsTruth.

No comments:

Post a Comment